Project Baseline would like to thank Joana Boavida, Diogo Paulo and Jorge M S Goncalves and Ester Serrao of the Center of Marine Sciences, University of Algarve-Portugal for assembling this poster (available for download near the bottom of this page) which provides an overview of the tasks accomplished by GUE/Project Baseline and collaborative divers off the coast of Portugal in July 2014. A few highlights from this portion of this “Baseline Expedition” are included below:
- 42 species were identified living on the coral reef
- 32 more species are awaiting identification or validation of experts
- Two new sites with red coral were discovered by Project Baseline divers
- 40 samples were collected for molecular analysis
- Between four and twenty six lost fishing nets and cables were observed in each red coral site surveyed during this expedition.
Click on the image to the right to view PDF.